In 2016, on the retirement of Professor Cairns Smith, ILEP Members contributed to a scholarship fund to mark his many years of active service to the federation, and particularly to the ITC. Cairns decided to award these scholarships (three awards of 5,000 CHF each), to address the three ILEP strategy Zeros. Each was linked with existing projects supported by ILEP Members and aimed to further develop the projects and disseminate their findings. The full reports can be viewed and downloaded by clicking on the links below.
- Zero Transmission: Disseminating approaches to identifying and addressing delay in detection.
- Project Supervisor: Dr. Vivek Lal, Director Health, GLRA India. (India)
- Start / End date: 01.04.2017 – 31.03. 2018
Project Summary: The project aimed to disseminate findings of a study undertaken by GLRA India that assessed reasons for delayed detection among adult leprosy patients.
Project Outcome: This project conducted eight dissemination activities including presentations and materials disseminated at project level, district level, state and national levels. It included presentations to key policy and service delivery stakeholders.
2. Zero Disability: Improving acceptability and compliance with protective footwear.
- Project Supervisor: Pankaj Gupta, Sr. Physiotherapist. (India)
- Start / End date: 01.03.2017 – 31.03.2017
Project Summary: The project aimed to improve the acceptability of MCR footwear (to be on par with commercially available footwear, which will hopefully lead to reduced impairment
Project Outcome: This project has identified suppliers, vendors, etc for the supply of footwear “uppers”. Collaborated with local shoe makers for manufacturing in various styles and designs. Renovated the footwear unit to establish a “footwear shop”. Procurement will follow to complete the project.
3. Zero Discrimination: Dissemination of examples of good practice in participation of persons affected by leprosy in leprosy services
- Project Supervisor: Michael Chen, ILEP ITC (Global project)
- Project location: Global
- Start / End date: 01.03.2017 – 30.04.2017
Project Summary: This project aimed to develop a handbook to strengthening participation of persons affected by leprosy in leprosy services.
Project Outcome: The handbook is still in preparation, but based on interviews and questionnaires, a resource is being developed which targets both field workers and persons affected by leprosy. It will provide both groups with practical advice will assist to enhance participation of persons affected by leprosy in leprosy services.